Saturday, October 29, 2011

Right of Way


On October 9th, 2011, the 3rd annual “CicLAvia” dominated the streets of Downtown Los Angeles. For those of you who have no clue what im talking about, CicLAvia is an annual event in which cars, trucks, buses and motorcycles are temporarily removed from a designated segment of streets and are open to the public to ride their bikes, rollerblade, run or walk and essentially enjoy the urban streets in a way not normally imaginable. 

Even only in its three short years in Los Angeles, the event has been a huge success in attracting people of all ages.  This concept first originated in Bogota, Columbia 30 years ago as a response to traffic congestion and pollution, but is that all CicLAvia means to Angelinos?

Not quite. Not only do Angelinos participate in this event to enjoy motorized vehicle traffic-free streets and as a breath of fresh air, but use it as a way to fight and stand up for their rights as cyclists and pedestrians. 

Over the last several years, we have seen an increase in cyclists in result to increased traffic congestion, increased fuel prices, and growing mixed-use lifestyle making its way in Downtown Los Angeles, but these individuals are doing so at a high risk. While the city is beginning to realize that there is a lack of bike-friendly pathways in Los Angeles, and the high liability of mixing cars and cyclists in the same lanes, their solutions are nothing more than mediocre. 

Most of the city’s plans simply consist of a reduction of driving one lane, and adding in a 5-6 foot wide bicycle lane either to one or both sides of the road.  As a cyclist myself, I feel that these plans are not sufficient.  In order for cyclists to feel safe on the road, they have to be separated from cars and trucks.  While I do understand that this is a difficult task is such a built-out region, but an addition of some sort of physical barrier other than a painted line should be included. 


If Los Angeles wants to further increase and promote cycling as a form of transportation, the city needs to provide safer options.  I consider current plans such as Spring Street to be a start, but further thought needs to be considered on creating successful projects.

3 comments:

  1. I remember trying to drive downtown when this event was going on and it was like a mad house trying to get anywhere. Despite my frustrations at the time, I understand why the event took place after reading your post. While the solution to our climate change problems is not simply for everyone to ride bicycles, I definitely think that it’s a step in the right direction. However, as you mentioned Downtown Los Angeles is definitely not conducive to cyclists. Driving downtown is crazy so I could only imagine riding a bike. I think that it would be a good idea to widen bike lanes and create a larger barrier between bicyclists and cars so that it’s a safer environment for all.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good post and makes me think about how car-dominated LA is. Many other cities across the nation have developed bicycle-friendly metro areas, and I think LA needs to really catch up in this aspect. Riding or walking to work is not only better for the environment, but it could also help reduce other widespread problems, such as obesity. It will be tough to find room to build extra infrastructure for bicyclists in a city that is already very crowded, but I feel that the benefits greatly outweigh the costs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of this event, but I love the idea. As a cyclist and outdoor enthusiast, I hate the danger of traffic in Los Angeles. Riding my bike through the streets is downright scary, especially when you can tell that some drivers are blatantly NOT PAYING ATTENTION.

    Whew. Ok, I got that off my chest. I genuinely hope that Los Angeles City planners take serious actions to make the streets safer for pedestrians and cyclists.

    ReplyDelete